Friday, April 2, 2010

Genetics/Heredity

I have four dominant traits: free ear lobes, hair on fingers, widow's peak, and one smile dimple. I have two recessive traits: straight hair and smooth chin. My mom has free ear lobes, hair on fingers, widow's peak, curly hair, smooth chin, and no smile dimples. My dad has free ear lobes, hair on fingers, widow's peak, straight hair, smooth chin, and two smile dimples. My free ear lobes, hair on fingers, smooth chin, and widow's peak came from both of my parents since they also have the same traits. I got my straight hair also from both of my parents even though my mom has curly hair. This is because my mom probably has one dominant allele for curly hair and one recessive allele for straight hair. So I end up having a 50% chance of having straight hair if my dad has two recessive alleles for straight hair. I have only one dimple which I most probably inherited from my dad since he has two and my mom has none. Dimples are also dominant, giving me 100% of having smile dimples because my dad has two dominant alleles for dimples and my mom has two recessive alleles for no dimples.

No comments:

Post a Comment